Monday, August 10, 2009

It all became clear emptying the ice machine

We have an overactive ice machine.

It's great. Never lacking the 3 essentials-cold water, ice cubes, or crushed ice. What's your pleasure?

Living the dream, let me tell you.

As I was doing my daily ritual of tossing the huge 'melded together' slab of ice and leveling the rest of the keeper off, it all became so clear.


For the longest time, I felt as if I'd become a failure.

Let's face it, my current lot in life was thrust on me. Though I welcome the responsibility everyday with willing and open arms (and heck, if I did not step up to the plate, who knows what would have happened), 10 years ago, never in a million years would I had imagined the twist my life would take.

Then it dawned on me as ice was falling everywhere during my daily grind at the freezer.

I am no failure. In fact, I am far superior to most. And very proud of it.

If I sound cocky, so be it. I know every person on this earth has their hardships, their challenges, their disappointments, trials and tribulations. But honestly, I bet not many could do what I do as well as I do it. Maybe that's why, after so far along in the game, I'd rather handle the task at hand solo.

It's a vicious cycle --when no one dove in at the beginning of this journey I figured I was on my own. Still no one took a vested interest. And the few times I did ask for assistance, I was sorely disappointed. It's that old adage, if you want something done right, do it yourself.

I'm still cringing at the time someone used the wrong cream .....well, you can use your imagination on this mishap......


Most of the people I know are either single .....married with no kids.....married with kids BUT they have a male or female spouse and a HUGE supporting cast of sisters/brothers/nieces/nephews/aunts/uncles/mother or father-in-laws.....and no other care giving responsibilities.

One of my dearest friends has 'he and he alone' with his job, his apartment, his car and that's it.

I'm sure he has his share of complexities and challenges. I pray for him everyday.

I feel much more confident that I am not and never was a failure because I can not clean my kitchen floor, wash down the bathrooms on a regular basis, weed the yard, paint the bottom of the garage, fill the HUGE crevices in the garage where the bricks have crumbled (soon the entire garage will crumble), keep up with the laundry, vacuum on a regular basis, replace the front screen door (which the landlord busted), replace the back door stopper, replace numerous light bulbs around the house including the garage, install a few new door knobs which have loosened, put up a few more railings, read a book let alone a paragraph, find a doctor .....or work out every single day.


It's amazing what I DO accomplish on a daily basis by doing what everyone does AND factor in the caregiver title.


Never again will I feel like a failure. I thank God for his assistance and walk tall and proud, head held high knowing I'm giving my all, I will have no regrets in life, I try to do the best I can everyday and be the best...and that God never makes mistakes. He assigned this job to the correct person who is honored and humbled by his choice.

No comments: