Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Afraid of what?


It's hard to believe, but I think I recently found someone afraid of Mom....or maybe I should say I just became aware that this person is 'ill at ease.' A few characteristics appear to be: sneaking around, lack of communication, afraid to confab.


WOW. Amazing, because 99.9% of the folks who know Mom adore her.

She's a legend and one of the most caring people you could ever know.

Let's face it, as people get older, they get some quirks. That is with ALL older people rising up that ladder. They speak louder when you wish they were whispering or just blurt out something you were thinking yourself. I kinda like that spirit, am amused, and have tried to grasp onto that fire in my 'young' age!!! Never too early to start living life to the fullest and making a name for yourself.
And, I know, I'm sure Mom is no saint. NONE of us are. I believe Jesus said "those of you without sin cast the first stone."


Everywhere she goes. I mean everywhere.


Her many travels across the U.S. --just this year alone she was treated as a queen in Pittsburgh, Chautauqua, always at Progressive Field and the Terrace Club, her doctors and nurses and techs, friends at Church, strangers she meets in the street...last year even at Yankee Stadium. Can you believe it, Yankee Stadium. She was treated like a Queen at YANKEE STADIUM!! Hoy!!


And her uncanny memory to remember peoples' names. You can go to a restaurant and, even if the waiter does not have a name tag on, she will say, "Mark, can you please tell me what the special is again honey?" Well, to say the least, Mark is immediately smitten!


One step further, everywhere I go, the first question I am asked, "How is your Mom? Please tell her hello and give her a big hug!!" Even my intern who has never met Mom has become endeared to her by speaking with her on the phone and hearing the conversations I have with her. Says a lot about this woman.


I go back to college, I attend a high school gathering, at work, oh at work everyday someone new is asking about her, at the Masses I sing where she is not because she's already gone....


Heck, one of my dearest friends from College, Jimmie, calls and has a 1/2 hour conversation with Mommacita and then talks to me as an afterthought! I love it!



Well, so be it. If I've learned something over the last 12 years which has been an eye-opening episode of my existence, it is life is too short to walk around on egg shells, try to please everyone, and always be the most popular. Jesus was mocked because he did the right thing. As long as we try to follow in Jesus' footsteps and be the people he wants us to be, let those 'fringers' think what they will. In the end it will all work out for the best.


Let's face it people. If 4999 people are in love with something or someone and 1 person is against, well, you make the call!!

No comments: