Monday, September 7, 2009

Jerry's kids


It's that time again.

Labor Day weekend is synonymous for the Jerry Lewis Telethon for MDA.

When I was a little girl, I'd make a fort in the living room with pillows, blankets, my books to do my homework, snacks, and stay up all night watching Jerry Lewis and his telethon for Muscular Dystrophy.

I liked seeing all of my favorite stars, but believe it or not, I understood what the true meaning behind this event revealed.

It's truly amazing what one man can do.

When I am feeling down, hopeless that I am not making a difference in this world, or sorry for myself, I just think of Jerry Lewis.

He is one person who started a cause which has helped millions of people to date.

He was extremely ill himself and has overcome that malady.


I'm not quite sure where I got the energy or what possessed me, but this year I stayed up all night long again watching my favorite entertainers, hearing the stories of hope, and witnessing the good will still left in the world today by CEO after CEO handing over checks in the thousands and millions for Jerry's Kids.

If the heart-warming stories don't get you (and they should), it's the performances like Jerry singing a wonderful song to his daughter or Jack Jones singing a duet with his daughter. You have a cute girl group from Texas belting out a great song, violinist Joshua Bell, or the jump rope team amazing the crowd.

If one of these scenes does not evoke any type of emotion and urge to make this world a better place, well, there's a problem.

No comments: