Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I wanna be as cool as my Mom when I grow up!

I've got very big shoes to fill but I'm gonna try.

I want to be as cool as my Mom when I grow up.

She has this charm which immediately draws folks to her and they are hooked for life.

At the end of their conversation, she knows almost everything about them --and vice versa --and remembers it! Heck, I can not even remember a person's name when I first meet them! Let alone anything that transpired in that conversation...

I could drone on and on and on and on..snap out of it....but I really realized how cool my Mom was when we watched the American Music Awards the other night.

Not only did she know who the Pussycat Dolls were, the Jonas Brothers, Jimmy Kimmel...but got extremely excited to see The New Kids on the Block perform live (as did I)!

Amazingly enough, she's got a keen sense for music, similar to mine. I can honestly say I do know a little something about music and about writing lyrics. Though I do like much of the music today, it does not hold a candle to the likes of Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, then add to the list Chicago, Seals and Crofts, The Supremes, Steely Dan, The Beatles, Elvis, America, and so many other musicians who actually wrote their own lyrics, musical scores, and had impeccable performance skills, not to mention their sweet harmonization.

We both balk at those artists who scream at the top of their lungs thinking they are creating music...who repeat the same line over and over and over and over again....and those who claim they 'want to be The Beatles or Elvis' (though, at times, 'he' does have a good singing voice, if he would just focus on a better choice of lyrics)...


I thank my Mom for her influence....for opening my eyes, ears, and mind to a wide range and variety of movies, authors, musicians, delicacies, and pretty much living the great dream in this life! I'm a much better person for it (especially with my love of baseball and scrabble!!!!).


Thanks Mom!

No comments: