Monday, August 15, 2011

We need more cowbell in the rain!




The last week has been one I'd never ever imagined, concocted, or even scripted in a dream in a million years!

Just the simple fact that I have a new text buddy who, most of the time is amazing.....yes, we've had a few rough spots but always seem to get back on track.

I had a schedule change due to vacations. A very nice change of pace! And honestly it seemed I was at the station MORE because of it as I would work, work out and then hit the Tribe game! Going to the Indians' games has become beneficial to my health as well as a great source of pleasure! I park at my office and walk over to Progressive Field. Those days I get a workout in, BONUS! The days I don't, I still get a nice downtown walk going!

One of the days I worked I totally overslept! I NEVER do that. I jokingly the day before told my relief to call me if I wasn't in at a certain time....sure enough, I jinxed myself. I got up 18 minutes before I was supposed to be at work! I called him and said, dude, I'm up but I may be a few minutes late!

God was truly on my side. I threw on an amazing outfit, gathered my lunch, and headed to work. I made EVERY SINGLE LIGHT! I was not speeding but it was a different shift than I normally work and the light pattern had changed. I got to work only a few minutes late and knew that I owed God a HUGE HUGE favor!

And then it was the Feast of the Assumption weekend! A family tradition! Sunday I went to the Indians' game which wound up being rained out and postponed. Even in a delay, I had the most delicious time at the ballpark. We played a few innings--David Huff was pitching a doozy! Then the skies opened. So I ventured up to the Terrace Club and just sat in my place on the floor watching other MLB games! 1/2 way through the delay, the most delightful little boy and his father came over to sit by me. He was a doll! We had the best conversation about beginning school and his lunch breaks at school....and how the administrators are quite annoying with how they quiet people down and get attention. It was absolutely awesome! He shared his fishy crackers with me and then when the couch opened, offered me a seat next to him on the couch!

He really was a doll and reminded me of my friend's adorable little boy, who hopefully one day I will meet.

Finally, they called the game and off I went to change for the Feast of the Assumption. I was NOT going to pass this up.

There may be a little rain in the air but it's tradition. I needed to get my Italian food fix on and light the candles we light every single year at Holy Rosary church!

I changed and headed down to Little Italy. I was meant to be there! It all came together! I was supposed to meet two friends but they got chased away by the rain. I wound up seeing my sports producer and his friend! Then I saw an old colleague, Commander Tom Stacho. I did my normal walk around and taste and squirrel away food to take home plus I grabbed some to give to my Aunt when I saw her at mass the following day....

But my highlight, besides lighting the candles and saying a little prayer, was visiting my friend's fried dough stand! ALWAYS a delight! And this year just made my week!

In the meantime, my new pal and I had been texting back and forth.....it was nice. But I was on a mission and he was going to have to wait. Especially after the skies opened again.....one downpour and I put up the umbrella. It lasted about 5 minutes and away the umbrella went! I went to Michael's stand and saw he and his lovely wife and children. After talking just a few minutes the skies opened yet again...but this was furious and would last longer. So he ushered me under his stand to safety and we all talked, shared memories, caught up, feasted on fried dough and made new wonderful memories.

At one point, it was apparent the rains would not be stopping for a while so the band in the center of the venue started playing to entertain those stranded.....and that's when the fun really began. A stand two down from Michael's had all of these instruments --cow bells, horns, tambourines, anything you could imagine. They started doling them out, passing them down so that everyone could play along with the band! It was magnificent. The kids had the most fun of course! This vivid image that will last with me forever IS truly what makes new memories --surrounded by friends, family, tradition, and the guts to live life to the fullest and make lemonade when you are handed lemons!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Cowbells and cannoli, the perfect combination...