Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's out of our hands...


I have to make the time to find a doctor and then see that doctor.
In my next breath, I say --WHEN????????????????

I received a letter in the mail today from my high school alma mater. Thinking I would find a release inside about the upcoming Mad Hatter Fundraiser or a plea for more money, I still ripped it open in anticipation.

Never in a million years did I imagine what I would find inside.

A letter from our President and Alumnae Manager announcing the death of one of my fellow classmates, Vicky Frantz, who passed away on February 13, 2009.

Floored. That's all I can say. And even more alarming is how I missed it.

I usually read the obits on a daily basis. I missed this one probably because I would never have guessed and was not looking for something like this.

Along with being blindsided by this tragedy, I missed her wake and funeral.

I knew immediately who she was. But I pulled out an old yearbook and started paging through to see old pictures of my classmates.


My teenage years started rushing before my eyes. It was so long ago. As I get older, I realize how much of my life I have forgotten. It's sad. There are many occurrences I just can't remember. Was I just not paying attention? Was I too focused on something I thought was important at the time, but in reality it was not? Was I rushing through forgetting important moments along the way? Or is my memory just kaput? Yet, glancing through The Parapet page by page reminded me of events that seem like they happened just yesterday.

Girls who I never really became friends with or were older or younger than I were still so familiar. I knew WHO they were even if we did not pal around. Just imagine, for four years seeing these girls day in, day out. You are family, whether you know it or not.

My memory is that Vicky loved life. She always had a smile on her face whenever I saw her and made people laugh. Laughter really is the best medicine and is contagious. Her robust laugh would start you off, even if you had no idea why you were chuckling. She was ALWAYS surrounded by people. Every party or reunion we had which we both attended, she was the one who 'shook it up' a bit if it started to get stale.


I imagine she had a full life and it was time for God to take her home. But, being finite, I'll never understand how someone can leave this world at such a young age, at MY AGE!


My heart goes out to Vicky's family and friends. I know Vicky is in a better place and pray that her family has the strength and the faith to endure this tragedy.


I've heard time and time again, the worst thing in life is for a parent to lose their child.


What a great loss.

No comments: