Wednesday, January 21, 2009

We ALL have to bring about change

I've shared in past entries my feelings on politics.

I'm not a huge fan of the 'shenanigans' so often displayed by 'shady' politicians.

I am patriotic, sentimental, emotional. I love my country, the United States of America.

I would not want to live anywhere else in the entire land.

When it involves the purest of ideals and the premise of our forefathers, I am on board all the way with political ideology.

This weekend kicked off an extremely emotional time for me.

It began Sunday as I sat watching the special presented by HBO at the Lincoln Memorial.

Phenomenal. Perfect. Well, near perfection except for Jamie Foxx's over the top rant.

The producers' impeccable planning and well choreographed presentation deserves accolades and kudos.

Simple, to the point, swift moving, as it kept its captive audience informed and entertained every second of the ride.

Never a dry eye in the room during the 2 and 1/2 hour show.

For me, anytime music, history, entertainers and patriotism collide, mountains move.


Then, the moment we've all been waiting for --Inauguration Day. I could not get enough of the pre-festivities, ceremony, and post Inaugural Balls.

Ironically, Mom had a doctor's appointment. Though we wanted to cancel, it's so hard these days to get an appointment (one of the many problems with health care that, hopefully, President Obama will remedy) with a doctor so we kept it. We, too, choreographed our every movement in order to experience all of the festivities.

While we drove out to the doc, we listened to the radio. Once inside, Mom was vehement about being no nonsense and rushing the nurses along so we could get back to witness history.

Something this country MUST get back to is its patriotism. Once inside the medical building, you would not have guessed that history was being made. No TV's on the big event. Not even a radio tuned into the happenings. Whatever happened to the days of my youth when we, though at school, would stop class, gather around a television to watch a shuttle launch or a presidential happening, or even watch the opening game of the Cleveland Indians' baseball season??

Nothing.

President Obama can start the ball rolling, but each and every one of us has to board the train to bring about change.

We ALL must change our mindset. For those who have hate in their heart from past disappointments, they must let it go. For those who were persecuted because of their race, color, heritage, background, religious beliefs, convictions, they must rise above and turn the other cheek. For those who fought in foreign wars and still hold grudges against the enemy, they too, must forgive and join hands with their fellow man.

President Obama, the 44th President of the Free World, can only do so much with his staff. It's up to each and every one of us to help solve the problems facing society today.

It may be gradual, but no one should give up.

It's like I tell Mom--slow and steady wins the race, one step at a time. No one gets up out of a hospital bed and runs the Boston Marathon. If you want to run a marathon, you start out slowly. One mile.....then try for two miles....and so on and so on. One day, you will be strong enough to go the distance and even if you don't win, at least you ran and completed the race giving it your all!

I also believe the US is one huge puzzle. It is not complete without every single person contributing in some way to its peace, harmony, and success. If one piece of the puzzle is missing, there's chaos.

President Obama can get the US back on track, but he can't do it alone.

We do need a change, even though I believe President Bush tried his best and was doing, what he thought, was best for this country. Being President or the Leader of a country is probably one of the hardest tasks to undertake, only second to the Secret Service Men who guard the Commander.


I was glued to the tv all day. I had chills every step of the way. I held on to each spoken word, each dignitary shown, and the feeling of hope which suffocated everyone taking in this momentous event.

I don't understand WHY the same feeling people have on a day like today or around the holidays can not linger longer.

All sides, both parties were involved in a love fest. WHY can not they continue that correspondence and carrying on day in and day out. Along the way, people will disagree, but should be civil and discuss their disagreements.

Politicians should NEVER do something just because its what their 'party' would do. They should use their brains and sometimes their hearts and conscience when making decisions.

I know there are Americans who never heard a word Obama sounded or ever listened to his running mates, but rather voted FOR Barack Obama or AGAINST him solely because of the color of his skin.

That is totally irresponsible and must be stopped.


I hope that those who watched the events surrounding Inauguration Day gleaned much of what I did and came out with a feeling of hope, faith, belief in myself as well as my fellow countrymen, and the strength to press on, even through tough times.

We experienced history. I know we experienced history that has never been witnessed before. However, I still do not look at President Obama as an African American President. I see him as a man who I respect and my President. I listened to him today as my new leader who resurrected ideals from his predecessors that made this country so great years ago! We CAN be great again if we just believe and work together!

I wish others would be able to get past the whole 'color issue' on all fronts. Yes, it should be noted and recognized for what it is. Martin Luther King Jr, Rosa Parks, and so many others all stuck to their convictions and beliefs to bring equality for ALL OF US! But, when it all comes down to it, we are all human beings, living breathing human beings and race, nationality, what language we speak, how tall we are or fat we are or rich we are for that matter should not mean a thing. We need to look within at someone's heart and soul and mind.

I'm lucky. I do have a good life and usually look at the glass half if not totally full! But, I do understand that there are folks out there less fortunate. Don't give up. The one thing we can not do is ever give up.

EVERY child should be told they can be whomever and whatever they want to be. EVERY human being should be treated with the utmost respect and dignity ALWAYS!!!!!!!


I'm overjoyed and rejuvenated as a new day dawns, a new President leads, and a new hope sets on the horizon to bring America back to life and back to its glory days.

No comments: