Monday, April 6, 2009

'With faith in God, we know we are not alone'

I admit, usually an upbeat person, I've been going through a bad stretch since my car was struck by a man high on PCP as it rested in my company underground parking garage.

I know. I've been told about 212 times how no one was hurt and I am very lucky. And I agree. I was not injured, no one was injured. My guardian angel was watching over this situation.

I know it is only a car. I'm over that as well.

But let me tell you. My life has been turned upside down. Though not injured, folks forget that emotional stress, strain, duress, and hardship can oftentimes be much worse BUT there is no way really to record and calculate the toll it takes on a person.

Not only have I had 200x the stress placed on my shoulders...my life agenda has been put in disarray. I am even further behind.

It's ironic what I do for a living. My life is a television show which is closely back timed. Every second in my life is accounted for and utilized. Taking care of a parent or elder person, working a full time job, and just trying to keep it all going, allows for not much spare time. Who am I kidding. No spare time.

At the beginning of Lent, I sat down and outlined what major projects I needed to tackle over the coming months....well, I actually was coming along swimmingly well until that fated day.

It's amazing how one bad decision by a stranger has impacted my life, so quickly.

I can not get ahead. No matter how hard I try. No matter how I try to fend off sleep. It's no good. I can not get ahead monetarily and with my precious time.

Over the last few weeks, I've had everyone come up to me and offer advice. I do appreciate the advice. I greatly appreciate the support also given by my friends and many co-workers. But frankly, without walking in my shoes and knowing me and my family's needs, it's really hard to hear some of the wise words of wisdom:
  • do this, do that
  • hire a lawyer
  • don't hire a lawyer
  • take the money and run (which is hardly enough to get a car of any type)
  • get a new car
  • get a foreign car, they are cheaper (not doing this)
  • get a cheap used car
  • lease a nice car
  • get your car fixed
  • get a sports car
  • get an suv
  • it's a sign --good time to get a car
  • don't worry
  • sue everyone
  • change insurance companies
  • go to a salvage yard and buy 50 dollar doors (not a bad idea)
  • don't get the car fixed until you have to
  • junk the car (can't do this just yet, it runs perfectly)
  • take it to my auto body, no mine, no mine, no mine
  • pray over it, a lot
  • God will take care of it all

The list is endless.

Those of you who know me, know that when there is a big decision I take my time in solving it and consider EVERY option.

I truly believe I will look back on this a month from now, and HOPEFULLY the situation will be rectified somehow, in a way acceptable to our needs.

I am not a young, single chick who can fly by the seat of her pants. I have a huge responsibility in caring for an elderly parent. Unfortunately, those not living with, taking care of, or dealing with this issue on a regular basis don't really have a clue what it all entails. My life as I once knew it is gone forever.

The car I purchase or lease or re-construct has to cater to me and my parent's needs.

Right now, it is hell.

I can't stop thinking if this would have happened to someone else??!?!?! But then, I can't think about that. I have to focus on the here and now and my situation.

I DO believe. I DO have faith. I DO know that in the midst of this chaos and hard times, God is the one carrying me leaving the single set of footprints.

I've had much worse happen in my lifetime and unfortunately, will endure much worse when people I care about begin going up to see their maker.

But really, how much can one person endure?

However, each day since the fated event, during our daily Lenten readings, God has given me signs.

  • 'Faith gives us hope, courage and comfort in the most trying of times. With faith in God, we know we are not alone.'
  • 'I do nothing on my own, but I say only what the Father taught me.' John 8:28b
  • 'The power of prayer is amazing. God can give us strength and provide us with a sense of peace.'
  • 'The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation'...Exodus 15:2

I've been able to laugh a lot over the last 2 weeks. It's not that I am being flippant. Laughing with those I love and close friends has helped me deal with this situation. I thank God that he has brought uplifting moments, fun times, enjoyable events, and lighter conversations to take my mind off that fateful day.

Keep the faith.

No comments: