Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Least favorite holiday weekend


When I was a little girl, Labor Day weekend was tolerable. On one hand it meant I'd build a fort in the living room and have my own sleepover watching the Jerry Lewis Telethon all night long. At that time it was more entertaining though it included its share of inspirational stories. However, I'm not sure that they had as many stories to tell or share. That's where I became acquainted with so many stars, entertainers, musical groups, and really broadened my horizons learning so much in that 24 hours. I think I also gleaned my passion for music and dance at that time.

By Labor Day weekend, some years school had not begun. Other years, it had just begun and we already had a boat load of homework which I'd just plug along through all night long.

Labor Day Weekend meant the end to summer, which saddened me. Still does today.

There were a few bright spots through the years. Labor Day weekend meant the Cleveland National Air Show and Cleveland Indians' baseball. My Mother, God love her, wanted to be a pilot and even skydive. Well, she never did either, but I'm sure she's doing them both now that she has entered Heaven. Uncle Johnny was in the Air Force. Wherever we'd go visit him, we'd stay on the Air Base with him surrounded by planes, Air Force personnel, and that regimented way of life.

I can only imagine what it must feel like being a pilot because watching the beautifully intricate maneuvers of the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels brings chills, tears, and wonderment every single time. It never gets old and never will.

What would be perfect would be sitting at old Cleveland Municipal Stadium during the air show so you not only saw the ballgame but planes buzzing around the entire time --many times scaring the bejeebers out of the ballplayers at prime times during the game.

No matter all the good memories, the summer coming to an end always made this particular holiday weekend bittersweet.

Looking back over the last 5-7 years, Labor Day weekend became more depressing. I'd usually ask for the day off, mainly so I could take Mom to a different dialysis session, then she could rest up a little and if she felt up to it, we'd hit the Indians' game. While Mom was at dialysis, I'd do a little cleaning. Well since I've not really cleaned since Mom has passed, the house is really due for a fall cleaning session this year.

Very stress-filled moments and days lead up to Labor Day 2011. I was not looking forward to this weekend at all but was going to try and make the best of it. Cleveland always has exciting events & fun stuff happening year round. Labor Day weekend kicks it up a notch with a bazillion festivals including the Great Geauga County Fair, the Oktoberfest, the Air Show, baseball and many newer happenings such as the Taste of Hudson, just to name a few.

So I, though broke, was determined to try something new every single day. My mantra has always been 'you don't have to have money to have fun.' I truly believe that fact.


Saturday, my nephew's band Founding Fathers played at Market Square. It was simply a beautiful summer day. Family first! I ventured over to Market Square and enjoyed cheering on my nephew and his fellow band mates. They are wonderful! I had front and center seats on the curb right in front of the band. It was perfect. And my heart was filled with joy as I watched people walk by dancing to the music, especially this cute little boy and girl, who could not have been more than 2-4 years old, dancing up a storm to my nephew's music. So proud. In between sets, I buzzed around The West Side Market. What an absolutely divine day! I've been visiting The West Side Market my entire life which included familiarizing myself on the main stands there through Mrs. Donley's freshman colloquium class. You don't even have to buy anything. Walking around people watching all day satisfies the soul. I did buy some fabulous chicken because I decided to try my hand again at Mom's famous breaded chicken and fine tune my mashed potatoes, should I ever have to whip them up for a potential new beau (he said mashed potatoes are his favorite, nothing else, just a huge plate of mashed potatoes!). Nothing tops off breaded chicken, homemade mashed potatoes and corn like a nice Molson Ice! Living the life, I'm telling you!

So far, so good on this bittersweet weekend.

Sunday could not have turned out any better. I headed down to work where I had a front row seat of the Air Show AND the Cleveland Indians' game WHILE I worked out in the gym! Pinch me. I've been trying very hard to get a great work out in every day and so far, so good! Sunday night, though I did not really have plans with anyone, I ventured solo to the Taste of Hudson. A new experience for me. My co-workers' band was playing at the event and later that night Michael Stanley and Tommy Dobeck. How could I go wrong?

Sure enough, I ran into a few other co-workers, heard phenomenal music all night long and even ran into one of my dearest grade school buddies. I could not have asked for a better night! Well, I could have, but I did not want to be greedy and press my luck! Wink, wink!


Through this all, in the back of my mind, unsettled thoughts of a dear friend who is going through a really rough time....yet I am trying my best to deal. God does not give us more than we can handle at one time. And in Sunday's gospel and homily Father shared that if no one else loves me, God does. The Lord calls us to imitate Him. That is what I am striving to do. Uplifting thoughts this bittersweet weekend.

Added to the mix, we just found out that a lifelong family friend is on her death bed. Again, all we can do is pray for her and her entire family.


I can not complain about anything. Compared to what my new friend is going through with his Mother passing away and our family friend who is preparing to see the Lord, I have absolutely no right to feel down about anything. Adversity and life in general puts everything into perspective. Mom taught us to do God's will and be there for our friends (well, she taught us so much more, all good!).

That said, I am human. I may know in my head what to do but my heart says something else. The Labor Day Weekend up 'til Monday was fantastic. But there was that underlying presence of stress and a heavy heart. Let's face it. 2 people dying. Summer coming to an end, which for me at this particular time is a symbol of a new budding friendship which unfortunately, has been cut short and is coming to an immediate end forever.

Monday I was heading to the Indians' game with a co-worker-- a very cool guy who I really enjoy spending time with who makes me laugh.

As we walked to the game, he suggested popping into the bar across from Jacob's Field for a shot of Whiskey! PERFECT idea. I told him, if the Indians win, this must be a regular tradition. Regardless, it took the edge off of my stress-filled week and made for a phenomenal end to Labor Day Weekend 2011. The Tribe lost but I had an awesome time at the game with my friend laughing and enjoying my boys of summer! Jacob's Field is my home away from home!

All in all, Labor Day Weekend 2011, even with the stress and sadness, had its glimmering moments. However, this will never be a favored holiday. No matter how great the weekend may be, at the very end, you are always reminded that the summer is coming to an end....fun times are slowing down.....and the cold harsh winter (which could be construed as the cold, rough times of life) is right around the corner. Grrrrr.

No comments: